AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stealth Inflation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 10/25/2010 19:54 (#1407526 - in reply to #1406747)
Subject: Candy bar inflation meter

Pittsburg, Kansas

I noticed just the other day the BD brand of insulin needles are now packaged 9 to a bag with 10 bags per box where there used to be 10x10 for 90 per box instead of 100. The off brands are still 100 per box though. Seems like candy bars are changing sizes again. That is the way they usually work. Make them smaller and smaller for the same price for a while then come up with a "new jumbo size" or some other term with higher price.

When Dad was alive that was his inflation meter. He always used to lament that when he was a kid a great big 3 Musketeers (his favorite) was a nickel. Now a smallish one is a buck. I think they were in the range of 25-50 cents when he used to tell me that in the 60's/70's. That falls in line with the claims that since the creation of the Fed in 1913 the current dollar has 3-5 cents purchasing power of the 1913 dollar. Just read today that since Quantitative Easing started we have lost about 20%.

I expect there to be about a 50% devaluation before it is all over. That is if we are lucky. We could survive that (have before a couple times). If we are unlucky, hyperinflation.

John

Edited by John Burns 10/25/2010 19:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)