AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any advice on working with aging fathers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 10/19/2010 00:24 (#1399571 - in reply to #1398510)
Subject: So to recap.

Rivers, MB
Thank you to those who replied. Most were very helpful.

There is something about the written word that never completely gives the whole meaning to what is trying to be said. And, in 3 short paragraphs, you can never give enough context to give the whole picture.

If some of you got the impression that i was complaining, then i would like to clear the air that i was not. I am/ and will be eternally grateful for my dad. Both for what he has taught me in life, both farming and off the farm. Thank you to those that reminded me (and i'm sure others) that we should be thankful for every day we have with our dad (or family for that matter). Not all of us on here have had that opportunity for various reasons. I'm very thankful for the farming opportunity that my brother and I have had. We have not had things handed to us on a silver platter. We have stuck our necks out and taken risks. Thankfully, most have worked out well for us so far. Dad, from early on, started the transition to us becoming managers of the farm and for that I am very thankful. At an early age, we were given responsibility and expected to work hard.

Dad had a fight w/ non-Hodgkins lymphoma about 6 years ago that took alot of energy out of him. Chemo and radiation are hard on a body and so his energy level has suffered because of it. He "doctors" alot because of it so i don't think there are hidden medical issues that aren't being addressed.

Thank you to those that gave some helpful hints on using technology. As one poster indicated, the reason for my post was trying to figure out practical ways to help a farm partner get more comfortable using technology. I realize that there is no magic bullet for this. I have gotten a few ideas that I would like to dwell on for a bit and put into practice. They will be helpful both for my dad and possibly my wife as she is showing interest in running machinery as our kids get to school age where she will have more time without kids around all day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)