AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I make a living on 300 acres?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GreenhouseGuy
Posted 10/18/2010 13:11 (#1398977 - in reply to #1397007)
Subject: Re: Can I make a living on 300 acres?

Piedmont, NC
Sure you can. I have seen some 400 acres farms thrive and 3000 acre farms spend their way into bankruptcy all too often. As long as you can work on most of your equipment yourself and you don't mind older stuff go for it. I make most of my sales at a farmers market (State run one) and if they have a lot of traffic you can pull in some big bucks on the weekends.(some don't do well) I would ease into though. You don't want to quit your job at first. I'd say you would have to grow vegetables somewhere in your operation. You have to do a high value crop. Corn and beans don't cut it. Hay is a possibility for horses, but you don't want to deal with those ----------. Yeah I do that and they will drive crazy. I got a friend that sells over $250,000 worth of vegetables (He sells everything) at the market I sell at. Keep in mind that's not all year. After august it dies quickly. Do the heirlooms if you want to grow tomatoes. If it's something they can get at Food Lion they will not buy it from you. Strawberries are good, but you need cheap labor to make them work. You can't sell them all by You-Pick situations. Good luck!

Edited by GreenhouseGuy 10/18/2010 13:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)