AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Perspective on Farming vs. a Corporate Job
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 10/18/2010 10:01 (#1398870 - in reply to #1398355)
Subject: Re: A Perspective on Farming vs. a Corporate Job

Blooming where I am planted!

Yeah, you got that ever so right.  It's like absolutes--year-round hectic and then you are supposed to go on vacation and wind down to nothing!  Oh, and when you get to the really high-level positions, it's completely frowned upon to be gone more than a week--two weeks gone at a time and they are looking at you like, what, you don't care about this job, maybe we should find someone who is more dedicated.  Even now, my boss is on vacation in another country for a week with her 3 little kids and husband and I have already heard from her on two separate days.  Something WRONG with that picture.  Normally when a boss goes on vacation, they leave THEIR boss in charge and I don't know why that hasn't happened here.  Plus, in the really high positions it is considered being a dedicated employee if you don't take all your allotted vacation.  POPPYCOCK!! 

I think I'd actually prefer farming because you could get a break now and then.  My mom was a teacher and she had summers "off" but it gave her a chance to really unwind.  She used the time to do that, and to do longer-term things like clean windows in and out, wax floors, etc.  My dad died when I was 2 so she had a tough go of it too, raising me by herself.  She never remarried because she was always afraid that the new husband wouldn't treat me well.  I admire her for her courage and strength, and if nothing else, by her own description, perseverance and discipline.

Edited by amsunshine 10/18/2010 10:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)