AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tax preparer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tomram486
Posted 10/17/2010 11:23 (#1397624 - in reply to #1397511)
Subject: Re: tax preparer

Looks like it is a requirement for tax preparers to start e-filing after Jan. 1, 2010. Think of e-filling as a way for government to save money. There will be fewer government workers, thus less taxes needed. A saving of $1 per return is a significant chunk of change even in small states. Accuracy should be increased. I don't know how many scans that I have performed and see that the accuracy could be diminished. The nice thing is that several states have got these tax websites and they are free for for use.

Now for the BAD. With increased accuracy, databases can be linked and discrepancies can be found.

Or you can just find a tax preparer that does less returns in a year. Looks to me that this preparer is going to retire.

1. What is the electronic filing requirement for Ohio income tax preparers?

Paid tax preparers who filed more than 75 tax returns in either the 2008 or during any subsequent year must, beginning on Jan. 1, 2010, use electronic filing technology to file state income tax returns. Acceptable methods of electronic filing include the IRS federal and state e-file program, Ohio I-File, or Ohio eForms.

This requirement does not apply to paid tax preparers who, during the previous calendar year, prepared 25 or fewer tax returns.

Return to Top

2. Why did Ohio decide to require tax preparers to file electronically?

The primary reason for the requirement is to control the costs associated with processing income tax returns. The Department of Taxation estimates that it saves more than $1 for each return filed electronically rather than from pen and paper.

Electronic filing also offers several practical advantages to taxpayers and preparers. Returns submitted electronically are more accurate and allow for faster, more efficient processing procedures and quicker refunds. Electronic returns also facilitate more rapid comparisons between the federal, state and school district returns that minimize discrepancies.

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/faqs/Income/individual_income_efile_faqs.st...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)