AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I make a living on 300 acres?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cole Sibley
Posted 10/17/2010 00:09 (#1397282 - in reply to #1397007)
Subject: Re: Can I make a living on 300 acres?

Pencil it out, if you've been operating it all along, you know pretty much exactly where you will be at. I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to make a go of it if you already own the land and equipment. Perhaps you need to put a price on what doing something you enjoy is worth to you (its worth a lot to me, McDonalds would have paid more this year but there is always next year). Do you really need to net $50000 a year (you might! I don't know)? Is driving the mail route really that bad? These are the tough decisions that you need to make for yourself. It can surely be done, you just need to decide if You want to be the one to do it!

Not to discourage you from doing what works best (because I don't know what works in TN), but don't try the 'get rich quick' crops. If they worked, we would all be doing it already. Experimenting is fine, and thats how we advance our technology and knowledge, but doing 'what works' is how we pay the bills for that experimentation. Look at the guys in your area that are doing well, and copy them! But on a smaller scale. I wish the whole country would go back to doing it that way (I may be a kook I dunno).

P.S. Do it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)