AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rural fire department
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 10/6/2010 23:21 (#1386562 - in reply to #1386212)
Subject: RE: rural fire department

West Union, Illinois

Preface most of this by "As I understand it"  This is a different situation than we have in most midwestern states.  The area was not served by any fire department or district. If you wanted the service of a fire department you subscribed.  The best analogy I heard was like auto insurance or a trash disposal service.  if you choose not to carry collision insurance you get to pay for fixing your car.  If you choose not to pay for the service they don't pick up your trash.  If you choose not to pay for fire service they honor your decision.

In everything I have read the department said if there were people inside they would have done their best to save them.  But if the property owner chose not to subscribe to their service they would not provide it.

It sounds really screwy to us with tax supported fire districts.  Our department's operating procedure is if we are called we respond and sort out who really should have been doing it later.

Oh, and Craig, speaking as a member of a volunteer department I'll put this politely:  Put up or shut up.  If you think the local department needs manpower and training and equipment to do a better job, get involved.  If you aren't willing to do your part don't criticize the folks who at least are trying.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)