AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home schooling kids
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 9/24/2010 02:26 (#1372065 - in reply to #1371469)
Subject: Re: Home schooling kids

Southeast Wyoming

You home schoolers have addressed the issues well.  My experience in watching a few home schooled families is that those students (and teachers) in a public school system suffer from isolation to some degree.  A public school becomes all about my own little group; my group competing with your group, fearing outside sharing of ideas will give away "XYZ HIGH"'s edge in the competition.  The home schoolers I see develop a network throughout the community, across the state and across the nation; they work for the betterment of all.

The term "home schoolers" is, in fact, an often misunderstood concept.  Mom and Dad are not the only teachers; the home schooler network has an abundance of well educated authorities on a vastly wider range of subjects than any public school could possibly offer.  That network is not encumbered with the limitations of the beaurocracy of the public school system.

Are there good and bad teachers in each system?  Of course, as there are good and bad parents in each system as well.  Parenting and education go hand in hand and are best handled by the parents rather than by the state.  Yes, the state can have a roll, but the ultimate responsibility is with the parent.  The public school system can easily lose sight of the goal when the bean counters control the purse strings and the thought police control the curriculum.  The public school system is a business, and the mission is controlled by politics; real success is measured too far down the road to gain adequate attention.

Edited by Gary Lyon 9/24/2010 02:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)