AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Young Farmer Dillema.... looking for advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 9/23/2010 22:36 (#1371805 - in reply to #1371479)
Subject: RE: Young Farmer Dillema.... looking for advice?

Amherst WI
I would suggest a small local bank. I was with a small bank when I statrted. I moved to where we are today and went to a large multi state bank. I felt I had a good banker, but many of the decisions on what we could do had to be done in Milwaukee by people who didn't know me or my operation. I am back to a small bank again. It is nice to have everyone in the bank know who you are as well as a local board with 3 out of 5 on the board being farmers or retired farmers. The intrest may be higher but it is worth it.

No offense to Triple G, but I am not a big fan of the Farm Credit system. Like the original poster I started on my own with my 4-H hog money to buy my first tractor, a Farmall H. I had some help from freinds, neighbors and a little from my family but for the most part I am on my own. I thought for a guy starting out Farm Credit requirements weren't going to happen for 99% of young farmers who start out on their own, and to be quite honest it ticks me off when they have ads saying they help young farmers.

I have had some real bad years a couple years back, and of course they are on the same years I expanded. Farming isn't a 100% win all the time, and you need a lender who understands that as well.

e-mail me if you want
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)