AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Home schooling kids
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jakescia
Posted 9/23/2010 22:31 (#1371793 - in reply to #1371705)
Subject: Go back and re-read the post. I indicated that I had several personal ..........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

experiences............I presented only one to merely make the point that I am mature enough to realize that the situation of which I am most directly knowledgeable is not one that a person can use to make the gross extrapolations that you are assuming I am making.

I have listened to my wife's comments about home schooling for years..........and have had the opportunity of knowing the people to whom she was referring-------either by direct acquaintenance, or indireclty from local public officials like the mayor, town council members, bankers, and the sheriff..........my point is that I don't live much on widespread possible hearsay, rather I try and get if from people who have proven their trustworthiness, and who also have had direct experience with the home schoolers.

I personally know the wife of a local attorney who home schools their kids---------she has fewer teaching skills than does my black lab. 

Etc etc etc.

In many cases, the home schoolers turn out just fine---------------the obvious question is how would they have turned out had they been publicized??

I've noticed that none have become "doctors, attorneys or dentists"-----------------which means what?  Zip.  I have met more than one doctor, dentist and attorney that I wish I had not met.

On the same token, I often wonder about some of the hangers-on in the public system, and whether or not they wouldn't have turned out better in the home school setting----------although, most of their parents couldn't have made that a positive environment anyway.

And..............let me be mean and ornery for a minute.   If I were to use the line of reasoning you are attributing to me, I would then conclude that since you are home schooled, or of the nature to home school, that must be the reason you have shown such lack of capacity to comprehend my written word.    

"....then said because of this one example I experienced in my life from this one person all people who were educated in this manner will be bad."     I did not say that........not even close.

"Why do you take your one experience and claim all homeschooled persons must be bad?"    I did not say that...........not even close.

Reread my postings..........slower..........note that I did not say home schooling was bad.   I said that with the proper parents as teachers, it could be equal to and even better than.

I did say that I felt that in the event those parents were convinced they were "good enough".........were they also of the skill level to recognize after they got into the process, that they were actually NOT good enough?

Now...........I apologize for making the above comments as if I were poking you, using such intent words to prove a point.  My intent is to not poke you at all.........but you provided a good platform on which to present the issue.

And, again, for emphasis..............home schooling, public schooling.........makes no difference which is the location or "method"-----------it has ALL to do with, in my opinion, the quality of the teachers AND the environment in which they are allowed to teach.

One last example, and then I'm going home.........since I am sure the Blonde has a hot dinner waiting-------from the microwave..........

Years ago, the Blonde got involved with the girls at the high school who got themselves in the family way, and who were having a hard time staying in school.   The teachers were of no support.   My wife was having after school, after dinner sessions with these girls.   She started getting a lot of flack from a lot of the teachers-----why, helping those girls stay in school is just condoning their condition.......they should not be in school anyway!  and to be using school property for holding these sessions is just not right!   Well, I would have told those teachers to get bent, and pointed out that their jobs were to help kids become productive citizens, as compared to living off welfare, which most of these girls were doing.......aid to dependent children, etc.   She, however, has never been one to cause public controversey....................at home, ya, but not publicly...........

So..........those kids started meeting at our house.   I didn't find out about it until the Rottweiler and I got home one night about 8pm, and the Rottweiler went to the top of the stairs, looked in, and started wagging her short tail. ......the dog liked kids.

When I got up there and looked into the family room............it was wall-to-wall girls, babies, and a couple of guys.    My wife was in the middle of chewing one of the girls out for allowing her baby to get galled due to not changing diapers often enough.

those sessions, over the next several years........resulted in attendances of about 40..........girls, guys, mothers, and of course babies.   Fortunately, our house is not small, so there was plenty of room for babies to get changed all at once, girls to be shown how to breast feed properly........etc etc.

I attempted to find out ahead of time when the sessions were going to be held, since they thoroughly screwed up my TV time, so I stayed away.

The amazing thing I thought were the number of mothers that showed up.......probably 10 per time, and it was not to help out the Blonde.........it was to learn how they could help their daughters (and in some cases their sons) cope with having a baby and still stay in HS.

My point---------------it was merely a good teacher, and a place that worked as a good learning environment.  That was all that was needed.

But, I also quickly point out............what would have been the repercussions if the Blonde had not done a good job??         NONE              (well, the only real problem was a potential lawsuit for functioning as a teacher in an area in which she was not accredited----------but we have two sons who are attorneys, so....................)

Home schooling a kid for a number of years back to back-----------just make sure to be a little paranoid about one's abilities as a teacher-----------lots of poor teachers out there so it is not inconcevable that "you" might be a poor one also, just like there are a lot of inadequate parents out there----------who, by the way, probably believe they are good ones.

The home schooling process does not provide for many alternative good teachers in the kids daily formative years as backups..................so........just be a little paranoid.............look over "your" shoulder once in a while, and don't be afraid to double guess yourself.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)