AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Young Farmer Dillema.... looking for advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

versatileman
Posted 9/23/2010 08:57 (#1370847 - in reply to #1370745)
Subject: Re: Young Farmer Dillema.... looking for advice?

Roseau, MN
Hey guys, I have talked to the loan officer and told them that things are goling to be close. She told me to wait to see what the beans do and how things pencil out. It is one of those deals where I have 1300 acres of beans to come off and 2 bushels an acre difference will make it or break it. All of my other crops this year have looked super good other than when we get into them with the combine they come out average due to drown outs.... I'm expecting no less with the beans. Worse case we are looking at under $30.000.00 difference. I easily could sell off a couple of pieces of paid for equipment and cover the difference and not make a big "stink" out of it when all said and done. Wait and see I guess. As far as insurance goes, when my other crops came in at average, I was over the payment minimum and in the black but not by much on those acres. About the only thing I could have done differently would have been not to enterprise, but I would be looking at a major increase in premium that we deamed it not feasable (maybe it was in hindsight). With so much in that area bad between a few crops, and with some beans looking very good and then the 25% drown out areas , I'm going to be over my 80% coverage but not quite back to being in the black. I'm at one of those spots where it wasn't a complete disaster, just not making any money either. And as far as working with the FSA office they have been great so far. I'm not up to the threshold of working with the local bank yet, but getting closer. Biggest thing is without other family involvement (cosign) I have not been able to purchase paid for land as collateral. Oh.... growing pains, everyone gets through them but they still hurt, lol. PS Even if the fsa will finance the debt forward I'm not sure if I would be willing/comfortable doing that. I'd hate to start a new year "in the hole", seems like once you get there it's aweful hard to get out alive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)