AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Of interest to pilots
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 9/21/2010 07:08 (#1368006 - in reply to #1367825)
Subject: RE: Of interest to pilots

Chebanse, IL.....

That's a strange story. Is there a "rest of the story" re. the woman?

Also, what happened to Lyle Shelton? I wasn't aware that he'd passed away.

I think it was back in 1976 that we went to the rejuvination of the "Miami Air Races", which was held on the then-closed ex-Homestead AFB (the old one) in FL. It was great. They were hoping to get the air racing circuit rejuvinated, going back to the '30s when the circuit was popular. I believe it was an accident @ Cleveland that pretty much doomed the circuit back then? At the Miami races the famous Bob Hoover was the airborne race starter in his yellow P51....."gentlemen....you have a race" was the radio announcement. I don't know if they ever had a Miami race after the '76 show. But, watching cool-old Hoover taxiing in front of the crowd with 2 scantily-clad models on his wing (WWII crew style) was neat. I have photos somewhere. Watching Martin Caden standing up in the Observers hatch of a JU52 waving the rebel flag on the take-off roll was memorable also. I've been to hundreds & hundreds of shows, but the Miami Race sticks in my mind.

But, you're right. When the unlimiteds hit that boost (nitrous?), it's an amazing sound & show.

I'd have loved to gone to Reno, but like the REAL Oktoberfest, it kind of falls at the wrong time of the year for NE IL farming.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)