AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Tricky Part
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 7/14/2010 11:32 (#1272849)
Subject: The Tricky Part

When I note extra tourist capacity in our populous state on a major holiday & note in many areas where both residential and commercial construction simply stopped (apartment houses empty with no windows installed-I noted one project (empty) with no roof (lenders apparently aren't worried about weather effect or vandals or whatever)-

Our daughter lives in Van Nuys in a 'once nice area' except she installed a high metal fence around her back yard with automatic steel door to protect her driveway & & full security on her house..our 26 yr. old ISU graduate who just moved in with her to be employed by her..was shocked on his first morning when he stepped out into the front yard to witness police, weapons drawn, chasing thugs down her street-"Mom, I know I no longer live in Ames Iowa" ..plus the unemployed...large tracts of land holding RV's & boats for storage.

Those factors among others too detailed to mention here...make it hard to talk inflation.

But, are we on the cusp of significant food inflation being driven by global demand? as the world seems to have a voracious appetite for protein. While the econ. data suggests increased savings....I sense more and more consumers have their backs to the wall (except in the movie industry as that is a special & dreamlike world) -our son was considering a two year stint as a missionary and expressed great dismay when he accompanied his producer sister to dinner the other night to meet the director of 'Thor' (to be released in May of 2011) & the dinner was in a fancy joint...."Dad!!! She spent $500 on dinner for the 3 of us!!"

He is having some philosophical questions about his possible new career.

This is a tricky deal to analyze except I would sooner be a food producer than about any other endeavor at this time.

more later.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)