AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

crop conditions report
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Hayinhere
Posted 7/12/2010 22:51 (#1270837 - in reply to #1270671)
Subject: Re: crop conditions report

Central NE

I drive along Highway 30 from Kearney Ne to Overton alot and there is definitely some poor corn along that highway  and the Interstate from the high water table along the Platte River, but I farm in the hills and there is some really nice corn in them thar hills this year.  I live in the Wood River Valley on the north side of Kearney and you would have a hard time finding a bad field of anything for 40 miles driving up the WR valley.  I think the saying goes- you have to get off the beaten path.  If you want to be bearish corn in Nebraska, drive along Highway 30 from Columbus to North Platte.

I was scouting beans today, one flat area about 15 acres under a pivot with high fertility is a soggy marsh with stunted beans, while all of the hilly ground and dryland corners look great.  All the beans could use more sun and don't need rain for a couple weeks IMO.

I have not irrigated 1 gallon of water yet this year and It looks like it will be at least 10 days of dry weather before I would consider pumping any water on - except for some alfalfa that is on a south facing hillside - and my farms stretch 110 miles from end to end.

I want the bulls to run as much as any farmer- but just so everybody knows- Buffalo county and others are going to harvest some great crops this year (as last year) And the state is going to have some excellent dryland corn if the great white combine doesnt harvest them first.

I'm leaning toward selling 10% of next years crops tomorrow midday and 10% Wednesday based on four factors: backyarditis, the corn market summer peak the last two years, looks like a good crop coming and the fact that I own no storage and have bills to pay at harvestime.  I haven't forward sold any crops since Jan 6, so I may be the last holdout before the bulls run lol.

Edit to add one more thing.  I am a seller but try to think what would I do as a buyer, and I think buyers are buying out of fear at the moment which usually means it's a good time to sell. 

Edited by Hayinhere 7/12/2010 23:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)