AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teff seed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Westag 88
Posted 5/21/2010 17:09 (#1208872 - in reply to #1208797)
Subject: Re: Teff seed?

95h, agree on all points. We did 10 acres of Teff last year. The 10 acres was grown on a field that my neighbour was given to work last minute last spring and we wanted something to grow before he put it into wheat in the fall. He was quite caught up in the hype about Teff grass and how great it is for horses. He heard about from his friend in Indiana. Very shallow root system. Seeded w/ a brillion seeder and it grew. Tougher than chinese arithmetic to dry down. Immediately following cutting we tedded the windrows wide to get it to dry, Raked it once dry and started to bale. We were baling small square bales and they were the heaviest bales we've ever had and we knew it wasn't dry. Stop baling but had already raked most of the field. Tedded it again to try and break up the windrows. let it dry another day, re-raked and tried again and it still wasn't dry but we had rain coming in so I was told to keep baling. DO NOT rake more than you can bale in a day or you will never get the windrow dry. Hay fed up ok, but was a little dusty, horses ate it ok this winter but it will be a long time before I try teff grass. If I were to try it again, I would tell the neighbours to park their roll-a-bar rake and only use my rotary rake when windrowing and again, only rake what I can bale. I have know idea what we would have done had we not tedded immediately and left it in a windrow! Nothing against you Jay but I would rather spend the money and grow timothy, brome, orchard grass for grass hay.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)