AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Senior
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 4/10/2010 16:03 (#1157322 - in reply to #1157010)
Subject: Re: Question for Senior

Want to clarify one thing.

"They" did not "allow" higher interest rates.

The MARKET drove rates & the fed chairmanship change to Volcker simply changed the fed "fantasy rate" to follow the market and GET THE WHOLE MESS CLEANED UP. I have a great deal of respect for him as he dislikes government meddling & dislikes Wall Street games. Thoughout that entire period from the mid-70's to the final blow off...the TBill market led rates. I recall putting excess cash into treasury bills at a 21% investment. As example, a small town banker friend told me "he was just sick about their new policy"-his board of directors (mostly farmers) directed him to shut off local loans and invest in bonds. Just one example.

The cause: the government borrowing crowded out everyone else. Additionally, I was buying bank repos every Friday & resell on Monday to invest excess cash and bank float--it added up ($$$).

Now, I look at negative REAL rates & witness an economy in which we are creating a bigger government payroll, hamburger flippers, census workers and wonder to myself.."what is it really going to take to create jobs?" Occasionally I watch FAST MONEY & listen to these guys roll into quick positions, hedge them off in puts, or calls, or combos & wonder if in the final result they make any money...they do pay a lot of transaction fees. I do know when I check out the bids & offers in some of these markets during the day..there are some big numbers thrown around..lots of speculation...in the past that has always led to some trouble.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)