AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

here is a thought for kagen's post below .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

plowboy
Posted 4/8/2010 09:47 (#1154736 - in reply to #1154407)
Subject: Re: here is a thought for kagen's post below .

Brazilton KS

I know a family that makes a living off on an 80, about ten miles away....but there are more cattle on that 80 then most have on their whole farm, and they also have a hardware business covering a couple of states.  The point being that they found a way to be doing something productive making a profit every day. 

If you don't like the facts of life in grain production, it's probably a good idea to do something else.  It sure isn't going to do any good to bitch about everyone else in any business remotely related to farming because they won't do whatever they do cheap enough to suit you.  The choices are pay the bill, or do it yourself.  I get the impression you don't like the bill, but at the same time you have a million reasons why you shouldn't have to do it yourself.   Sorry, but those are the choices.

If you think land returns better then the farm operation entity, you need to reassess your operations.  The return on land is historically about 6 percent.  If we were only returning 6% on our operating entity, we would have been out of business thirty years ago.   Of course, I'm not the one on here griping about how it's impossible to make any money farming....yet the one who is griping is telling me how everything I do to make money just won't work.

Edited by plowboy 4/8/2010 09:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)