AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Other markets
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/3/2010 15:32 (#1148483 - in reply to #1148460)
Subject: Consumer choice vs protectionism

Pittsburg, Kansas

This discussion begs the question "what is protectionism?" to be answered.

I could be wrong or my interpretation could be different than others but I consider my personal choice of who I buy from and what I buy more of a freedom of choice issue rather than protectionism. It could be even considered patriotism. Protectionism I consider more something like laws that prevent free trade. This would be a lack of freedom of choice where it is mandated that we buy something we would otherwise not, either because of outright bans of certain products being available or because of price manipulation from taxes being levied on foreign products that are not applied to domestic.

If I prefer to buy from a brother, friend or neighbor something that a complete stranger also has for sale at the same price I consider that freedom of choice of who I buy from, not protectionism. If I see something made in USA sitting beside something made in China and I choose the USA product I consider that freedom of choice, not protectionism. If it is mandated that I have to buy one product over the other or if tariffs or taxes have been applied to the foreign product to induce me to buy the USA product (as in the case of Chinese tires and steel pipe of late), that is protectionism. At least that is my definition of it.

And I have the freedom to choose my own definition, even if it is wrong! LOL

John

Edited by John Burns 4/3/2010 15:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)