AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wireless internet? shed,distance etc
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dkastens
Posted 3/3/2007 21:12 (#114349 - in reply to #114320)
Subject: Easy as locking a cab door

Rawlins County Kansas
Wifi security becomes a significant issue when you get closer to population and becomes more significant as the technology improves. It used to be that wardriving setups were limited to a few hundred feet which was still enough in towns to find someone's system and hop on for a ride. Now, it's nothing to have a setup that can reach 1/4 to a full mile. Out here, I doubt that most people would even know what war-driving is, let alone set about to do it however there is always the off-chance of it happening.

Interestingly, a similar debate we always have revolves around locking cabs at night in the field. For me, it all comes down to high school kids (for both wifi security and why I lock the cab). I know most of the HS kids as well as their parents and grandparents, but if we all remember back to those days, curiosity and a need to "push the envelope" often get the best of even the most down-to-earth, normal high school boy. In other words, we aren't concerned that they will do anything intentionally negligent or damaging, but rather could inadvertently (while fooling around) cause some damage that costs time and/or money to repair.

If a person is just sharing internet, then about the worst that can happen is losing some bandwidth. But if you are using MS file sharing and open access (not password protected), a lot of damage could be done rather easily.

The bottom line is that setting up basic WEP or WPA security is as easy as locking a cab door, but doesn't have to be done on a daily basis.

That's my two-cents anyway.

Adios,

Diet
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)