AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SUCKHOLES
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 3/15/2010 08:48 (#1121278 - in reply to #1120323)
Subject: RE: SUCKHOLES

northern MN

First off I don't believe it is the farmer getting a subsidy. I believe government programs subsidize the balance of the economy. City's, schools, processors.... Further if it were a program that truely subsidized farmers we are paying our way. If we assume that we are making money we pay income tax. Even if we do not have a net income we pay property tax. We pay property tax whether we own the land or not, it is built into our rents. My farm generates approximately $80000.00 of property tax annually, I have no guilt in collecting a Government check for keeping food prices low. My farm pays over $36000.00 in school taxes alone as part of property tax. Property taxes here are around $20/ac even at the peak of government program largess the payment per acre was less than the tax. Today program participation for me generates about $12/ac.

I believe farm programs are designed to keep food price low and people on the farm. Obviously one goal has not been met.

Am I better than a WS banker? Did you have an affordable meal last night? Yeah I am better!  Apparently I am smarter too.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)