AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LETS CLEAR THE AIR ON SURE
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Art Swannack
Posted 3/13/2010 10:09 (#1118259 - in reply to #1118109)
Subject: Re: LETS CLEAR THE AIR ON SURE

doesn't matter if you sell it or not. If you make hay, it becomes a "crop" rather than "forage for grazing". So you have to assign an appropriate value(you can discount from market price or put any value you want on it, but the county committee will review it to see if an appropriate or realistic value). In whitman Co, Washington Sure value for hay was $109.33/ton (alfalfa or mix) for 2008. Even if you 50% that value for "used on farm" it adds up quick (remember Dairy grade hay was going for $200+ in 2008, assuming the dairy paid). My neighbor raises irrigated hay and he said some people were selling standing alfalfa in the basin for upwards of $150/ton that year.

And yes, I had too much hay and it was almost entirely used on my farm (all but 14 ton) so it looks like no way I qualify either.
And I agree with the starting comments. I looked at SURE and saw no way it would pay out in our area under the origional terms of the program, so why waste $ on NAP. Also don't like the idea of insuring hay for on farm use.

FWIw
Art
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)