AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Basis on wheat.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 3/11/2010 21:01 (#1116101 - in reply to #1115209)
Subject: RE: So do you weld the bin doors shut?

Southeast Colorado
I understand what you mean. I'm going to kind of explain this in an analagy which probably only means something to me. Since I farm in an extremely dry area (capable of going 12 months at a time with no measurable precip) my dad use to say during those tough times that in order for us to ever get any moisture you truly had to give up complete hope that it would ever rain again, then add two weeks. He said if you looked at the clouds form with a distant hope in your heart, then you truly hadn't given up. After going through a couple of those spells I figured out what he meant. I know this is mostly useless info but I felt like sharing that story anyway. No one knows what this market will do, but I would almost bet that when you least expect it, the big move will happen. If it makes you feel any better, most of us won't be prepared to take advantage of it like usual. If you constantly are locking in futures or options to protect all of the possible scenarios which could unfold, and the market remains stagnant, the only ones making any money are the brokers and the exchange. By the time one of your positions finally works, you are so far behind dollar wise that you need all of that newfound wealth to get back even just to start the game over again. I know you're suppose to view the cost as "price insurance" but have you ever noticed how much richer the insurance companies are than us? If you build bins and never sell, either the bugs or your banker is eventually going to come find you. Good luck with that one! Sorry my stories sound so cynical tonight. I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy. Life isn't all about money anyway, is it?

Edited by tmrand 3/11/2010 21:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)