AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Comments on state tax receipts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

djmcountryboy
Posted 3/5/2010 06:06 (#1105774)
Subject: Comments on state tax receipts

Mascoutah, Illinois
We continue to see declining state tax receipts and I believe I finally have the answer to this.

BTW: "EDDIE, I WAS WRONG. THE ECONOMY IS IMPROVING."

The reason we continue to see declining state tax receipts is due to internet commerce. When companies the likes of Ebay and Amazon were in their infancy stages, I do not believe the vast majority of us thought we would or could do so much shopping online. As this market segment continues to expand at a rapid pace, many of these transactions are NEVER TAXED. I buy so many things online that never get taxed nor do I pay shipping and handling. Why leave your home to go shopping and spend $3.00 a gallon gas when you can do it with a few clicks of the mouse and save money?

The net result has lead to the problem of less tax receipt money being taken in by states. Folks are spending, they are doing it from their homes instead of going to the store. It has also in my opinion contributed to a much bigger problem, OBESITY. We as a nation have become lazy and I believe our technological advances will be the culprit that destroys our civilization. Every culture at some point in history has been wiped out to some extent. Ours will be due to technology.

If any politician is reading this, let me offer you up a solution to help generate more money for your state. Let's implement a 3 percent sales tax on all internet commerce not currently taxed. 1.5% of that tax goes to the state that ships the item and 1.5% of the tax goes to the state the item is shipped to. We don't need all of these so-called "sin taxes." The solution is staring you right in the face.

But the more I think about it, it would give state governments a chance to spend more money and put us in a deeper hole. (Scratch that whole idea.) I don't need anymore problems because we lack fiscal responsibility. If you think Greece has problems, right here in Illinois we are in far worse shape. The running bet is who goes bankrupt first in the United States. Will it be California or Illinois?

Edited by djmcountryboy 3/5/2010 06:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)