AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

breakeven in farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 3/3/2010 15:17 (#1103216 - in reply to #1103158)
Subject: Re: breakeven in farming

northern MN

I began my farming career shortly out of HS in 78. The 80's were very difficult but We persevered because we were both committed to the success of our family. My wife's values are the same as mine and she has worked off farm since 81. WE have sacrificed greatly for what we have been able to accumulate. By the Grace of our Creator we have amassed more land than the 4 generations (unfortunatly not on the same land) before us. We have sacrificed more than I sometimes think we should have but we have and our children will benefit from it.

When I started I had to change, I could not do the things generations before had done as it wasn't good enough for them why would I think it should work for me? I raised crops the neighborhood didn't like (sunflower, corn, beans) but became accustomed too. I say this because at your age you need to think outside of the box. I tell my son regularly that even though his start is far better than mine he has to be better than me. If not he will not make it as there are to many willing to do it for to little or nothing. Inflation alone will make what I have too little in time. That being said owning land is the best hedge on inflation and bad weather a farmer has. Just making a living shouldn't be a goal, if that is the goal why not rent the land and get a job in town with no risk. If farming is your intention Identify your core competency and make it grow it to levels that will allow the farm to take risks that may become new competency's.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)