AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

breakeven in farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

thor
Posted 3/3/2010 10:48 (#1102898 - in reply to #1102517)
Subject: Re: breakeven in farming

northern MN

Interesting the way you phrased your words. In the 80's I was in a MEY (maximum economic yield) group, our goals were obvious by the name. I was working with wheat, while I do not remember the costs per acre I do remember the practice.

We started out with soil test + 130N + starter - came over the top shortly after emergence with additional N - put fungicide on with spray - growth regulator- a product called nysol that essentially was a micro nutrient foliar application of fertilizer - standard two application of fungicide. That is how I recall the program, I also recall that the whole program netted basically $0. Wheat at the time was $3.50 or close, If I remember correctly we had a increase in yield that paid the costs and nothing more. Our information was good and we had a large enough test area and reps to feel our results were accurate. Our test area was 200 acres of field that had been cropped the same for at least 4 yrs. I beleive there were 8 of us in the group and all had similar results. 

Knowing that I had an increase in yield has made me acutely aware of the possibility to capitalize on this experience with better prices. Unfortunately the cost of the various products has increased along with any increase of commodity's. All that extra work and management for nothing has made me a very skeptical customer. I have always looked for ways to increase profitability but refuse to be the Guinea pig any longer if the university's do not endorse it I probably would not buy it. I am also skeptical of universitys at times as well. I along with the rest of you know where they get there funding. The best thing I have done is become freinds with many of the reserchers and get to the truth over a beer.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)