AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

breakeven in farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 3/2/2010 23:28 (#1102382 - in reply to #1102137)
Subject: RE: $135 for wheat without equipment costs

Southeast Colorado
I'll take it one step further. Around here if you pay $50/acre cash rent on dryland, I can guarantee you will go broke. Summer fallow here and you get a crop 2 out of every 3 tries. Funny thing is, is that we all learn how to make a go of it no matter what your area. I think the economics of every area end up about the same. I'm not putting Farmerbyron down but I have noticed that he likes to complain about there being no money in wheat farming. I don't know about you guys but if I can't make money doing it, I move on to something else. We grow wheat on some acres but we about always fall graze cattle when possible. As we add more customers we keep converting acres to cane and oat hay production while simultaneously running a custom swathing and baling business. We keep adding acres to sunflowers. These are just some of the ways we combat sorry wheat prices. Nobody ever said you were guaranteed a profit growing wheat, or anything for that matter. It's up to each of us to figure out how to make their operation work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)