AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Something That Needs to Be Understood
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs Seabee
Posted 3/1/2010 21:29 (#1100412 - in reply to #1100103)
Subject: Re: Something That Needs to Be Understood

Northern Indiana
I am not a board member, but if I felt called to run I would. I have spent 25 years of my life working with children from infancy to 12th grade, including Special Education - Learning Disabilities and Mental Retardation. I have seen everything. Overly zealous parents, overly-indulgent parents, indifferent parents, negligent parents, rebellious parents - you name it and I've seen it. I know of teachers who should be kicked to the curb as well as administrators. Some of them can't spell, nor do they teach effectively. I've heard the same (unsolicited) complaints about the same ones over and over. Then, I was called into ministry as a pastor and I deal with spiritual matters and home matters alot on a much more personal basis.

Here's what I know - the home is the very undergirding for any child. It's where they should learn everything, from love to character development, self-discipline, self-control, relational coping skills, nutrition, literally everything. Even a bad teacher can be overcome with a diligent parent. But, the less time a child is allowed to spend in the home, the less likely it will be that all that children need to grow and develop will happen. The younger the parents, the less likely it will happen, unless the parents are particularly mature. If they are growing up with split homes/single-parent home, the less likely it is that it will happen. THe same thing goes for homework and reinforcement studies, and enforcement of rules and regs at the school.

If your child cannot spell, read well, subtract, or multiply, then it is your responsibility to see to it that they learn to do so. If they don't behave, it is your responsibility to see to it that they do behave. Have you seen your kid's report card lately? If your child owns a cell phone, an Ipod, blackberry, etc. and if they are not allowed in the schools, then it is your responsibility to see to it that they don't try to pull a fast one and take it to school. Your kids are your responsibility. That means feeding them decent food for breakfast, making sure they are fed decent lunches, wear clean clothes, whatever. I am personally willing to hand out anything a child truly needs during the course of the school day and I've done alot of it, but I am not there to rear your child. We're here to stamp out stupidity. I'm thinking after all these years that we need to transfer our efforts to the home first, and then meet up with the kids at school.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)