AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More bullying
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

mikado
Posted 3/1/2010 14:58 (#1099777)
Subject: More bullying

SW WI
How would you deal with this? My son, a senior on the basketball team seems to be a target of an adult (parent of another player). The other parent, participates in old-timers basketball night a couple times each week. This has evolved into instructing players who show up, (since the coach doesn't know anything). My son went to a couple of times before the season started but said it was just street ball with who ever can push and shove the most. My son can handle himself, football conference player of the year, and will play college football. He along with the other seniors on the team stopped going to this. Now each gym night has resulted in this parent making known his opinion of how we would be better off if these players never went out. This parent has coached his son (a sophmore) and his son's classmates for years. His son is a starter as well as mine and 2 seniors and 1 junior. The junior and his son are usually leading scorers. My son leads in assists and steals but usually never scores more than 5 points a game. The parent will not sit on the home side of the stands at games. People around him have told him more than once to shut up. He sits on the other teams side and usually strikes up a conversation with someone to cheer against anyone who is not his son's friend. I am not joking about this. He is very animated if there is a turnover, (laughing very loud, shaking head, pointing at the player who made a mistake)
Now the last few games my son has been his only target. The parent isn't as animated since a talking to from administration. Only my son gets the usual treatment. My son has stopped shooting the ball. Maybe one or two shots early, if he misses he is done, if he can make one or both he might try a couple more. My son says he hears him from the stands. The coach is aware of the situation and has been very encouraging to my son. My son seems to be the only target since he got in a shouting match with this parent's daughter (a classmate). The daughter told my son how he sucked and didn't belong on the court. My son came back with " I know that is what your dad thinks and he is a fr***ing idiot" Needless to say he was with his friends and they backed my son so much that the girl left the room crying. After being called to the principal's office, the principal told my son that he understood the situation, but not to use that language. The principal had a story or two to share with me about the parent's behavior when he talked with me.
This guy is a real wildcard. Do you think he would reason at all? Him saying how bad some of these players are is funny, we just won our conference. Needless to say he has his own adjenda. The child in me says paybacks are a bitch. His son will be on the baseball team but really struggled last year. The seniors on the baseball team will definitely carry the team and I would love to payback when his kid struggles. His son isn't exactly innocent either. The coach caught him telling the senior basketball players that it would be a better team without them. That kinda opens him up to some heckling but really I should act like an adult even though this guy never will.
One last thing, you could call us neighbors, we live fairly close. Last year I told my son to offer the other kid a ride home. After a while he accepted and my son thought they we friends. My son talked the other boy into going out for football and somewhat made sure nobody really picked on him during football season. Needless to say all this has really hurt my son because he thought he was taking this kid under his wing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)