AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just what, not why.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

martin
Posted 2/28/2010 21:23 (#1098882 - in reply to #1098846)
Subject: RE: Just what, not why.

Yes,  there are no restrictions in the field, or on the farm.  These restrictions only apply when the farm equipment is taken on the public road.

The article as written is not entirely accurate.  It seems to suggest that anyone under the age of 18 cannot drive a tractor...period.  In actuality, the regulations only apply to farm equipment over the 17,000 lb weight limit.  As I understand is, under 17,000 lb, there are no restrictions.  If you read to the bottom of the article, it does specify the 17,000 limit in the bullets; however, in the article itself, it does not. 

Let me toss out the other side of the coin..... currently, a 16-17 year old can run a 60,000 lb rig of tractor and trailing equipment down the public road, no questions asked.  However, that same 16-17 year old cannot drive a tractor-trailer rig with similar weight down the same public road.  Frankly, I have to think that this picture is not right either.  Is 17,000 lb the right cut-off on weight limit?  I don't know.  Frankly, it sounds low to me; and I am interested in hearing how that number was arrived at.  However, I think I could see some justification in having some kind of limit, whatever that number is.

As far as the record-keeping ....... that's Bull%%%%.

I am good friends locally with a farmer who is active in PA Farm Bureau.  He says PA Farm Bureau has been trying to sound the alarm about this issue for over a year now, and farmers in PA have not been paying attention.  Now, the deadline is here, and farmers are getting up-in-arms.  He says they should have been paying attention sooner.  (end of rant.)

One thing that really stinks about this is that PA seems to be singled out on this issue..... at least that is what I read.  No other states - or very few if any other states - are being restricted in a similar manner from USDOT.  I am not sure why that is.  

Edited by martin 2/28/2010 21:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)