AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water Softener Problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

shade
Posted 2/27/2010 00:41 (#1096081 - in reply to #1095635)
Subject: Don't use pellets

NC Kansas
I used to work for an Ecowater dealer and the worst salt was the pellets. You need to use SOLAR salt. The pellets (3/8 to 3/4") in size turn to MASH after being wet down, then it turns to a hard block in the tank and water then can't dissolve it to make brine. Do as others have said and clean out the hard stuff and dump in 2 bags of SOLAR salt (the grains are just under 1/4 inch in size and fairly hard). Plug it in, make sure it isn't in bypass and let it work. I would bet the last users had the "hard block" problem and put it in bypass and unplugged. When you dump in the salt, regenerate it right then. Come back in about 24 hours and regen it again. It can take many days to get the soft water throughout the waterheater if you don't have a lot of water usage.

We cleaned out a lot of tanks that had used the pellets in them., and most were fixed by cleaning them out and using good salt. Most places sell solar (usually blue bag) salt, you may have to ask for it.

There are a lot of differences in softeners. A lot of price ranges also. A good softner will save you many times over in the cost of wasted salt. If you can taste salt in your soft water, your unit isn't programmed correctly. They go through a series of brines and backwashes and finally a rinse before going into "soften" mode.

A few more things to remember. Set them to regen when you won't be using any hot water. Whenever it is regenerating, it is in bypass. So,,,,, if you set it to regen at 2 in the morning and happened to set the dishwasher to delay start 6 hours at 8:00pm, it will be putting hard water into the water heater. A flush of the toilet isn't going to hurt anything, because the next flush will replace the hard water, but a water heater is hard to get flushed, unless you have my kids.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)