AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Remodeling cost!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

can counter
Posted 2/26/2010 11:34 (#1095038 - in reply to #1094941)
Subject: RE: Remodeling cost!

Oelwein, Iowa
I've remodeled twice. After the first time I said "Never Again!". 25 years later bought a different 1915 house and new wife wanted to fix up ourselves. I wanted what others have said, Match Remodel. Wife always wins. Started with new kitchen. Next was new basement, then plaster and lath off in 3 rooms on main floor. New entry way and laundry on new entrance to home. Made new basement raise house 4 ft to make walk-out and no more wet. Added 1600! sq ft deck. $80K so far, (doesn't include kitchen) and second floor still has plaster, needs bathroom redone, original window frames are starting to rot. Someone before us had plastic replacements installed, not properly sealed, now will need new windows in new frames. I've done a lot of the work to save money but.... Where are the matches? When it is done it will still be an old house, some here say that is better than todays build. I'll argue that point.
Remodeling an old house is a never ending job. Be prepared for that. It will cost more than a new house if all hired labor, and if you do most of the labor it will cost most of a new house. There will be many spirited discussions between spouses about colors, finishes, and when will it be done. BUY good tools now, you will need them.
Good Luck

Edited by can counter 2/26/2010 11:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)