AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Remodeling cost!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

mack
Posted 2/26/2010 10:01 (#1094941 - in reply to #1091000)
Subject: RE: Remodeling cost!

I am in the process of remodeling an old house that was built around 1900. As others have stated if you can do the work with the help of family, it will save you quite a bit. They can say what they want about how them old time contractors were the best, or "they dont build them today like they use to". When we got the plaster tore off, some of the framework was terrible. One part of the house did not even have studs. It was like they pulled a barn in and attached it. I took all the plaster to a local landfill just because I wanted to have receipts in case a neighbor thought I was goin to the ditch with it. In the down stairs alone there was 18,000 lbs of plaster-its no wonder these old houses sag and lean. As far as savings go between a full remodel and a new house-there is not a whole lot. The only thing the old house has that a new one does not is age, and that could be of value to some. Granted there are some old homes that have excellent foundations and framework and if that is the case then you are steps ahead. I had to do foundation work and re-do some framework and that got expensive. But if you do it and do it right it will be very nice and there is some things that an old house can offer that the new ones do not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)