AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Remodeling cost!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 2/25/2010 16:45 (#1093617 - in reply to #1091000)
Subject: RE: Remodeling cost!

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
Mark you've had some good suggestions so far & I know it's tough to decide what to do. I have an big old house that I did 80% of the remodel my self. I have 18 rooms total not including the basement that had to be redone. I have redone all but one so far & at my age & empty nest I don't see me ever finishing that last room. Don't tell my wife that though. It took me over 15 years to finish my house. I did one room a year in the winter time. The only room I hired done was the kitchen because believe me I am not a fast carpenter & my wife didn't want to wait all winter in a mess to get it done. If you do decide to remodel see about living somewhere else for a while & do alot of rooms at a time. I have a good neighbor that is in the process of doing that right now. He is renting a house in town & is doing some remodeling ,putting in new basement & adding on a garage at the same time. I know it's taking longer to do it then he was planning but this has not been a good winter here.

I ended up gutting every room down to the studs,new insulation,new Anderson windows, all new oak woodwork, new vinyl siding, new roof,added a two car garage etc. I don't even want to know what I spent on this old house. I never borrowed any money to redo it I just spread it out over 15 years to get it done. It's a good sturdy house but I would never build a house like it today. The structure of this house had it's limits has to what I could do.That's something you need to keep in mind if you decide to remodel is this something you want to live with the rest of your life with. I hope I didn't confuse more the help you. Good-luck on your decision. Mark, NW Iowa
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)