AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mark Whitacre a.k.a. The Informant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

captplaid
Posted 2/22/2010 20:25 (#1088195)
Subject: Mark Whitacre a.k.a. The Informant

Ottawa, Illinois
http://www.markwhitacre.com/index.html

It surprises me this guy has such a website that combines business and personal information. Sounds rather arrogant to me. Interesting,the website is owned and copyrighted by his employer.

You know, while I think of it, he would probably be an ideal employee. He is gonna keep his mouth shut. He ain't gonna tell no one nothing.

For those who don't recall the guy, he was the whistle blower who taped ADM price collusion. ...The competition is your friend. The customer is your enemy.

When the FBI entered to corp headquarters, ADM provided a lawyer for each exec. Whitacre goes into a room with his company paid lawyer and tell him "I'm the mole", assuming attorney client privileged. The company paid lawyer promptly goes out of the room and tells the company.

The next day the company audits Whitacre's department and discovers Whitacre has set up a phony company in Switzerland and is billing fraudulently. Whitacre says the company did not have a bonus program and this was the "Bonus program" for exec. Probably true, but the company found no other execs doing such and denied his claim.

The feds threw the book at Whitacre. Stupid SOB.

I guess this movie makes him out to be a boob and is something of a comedy I guess. It was written by a New York TImes writer, and was written as is the company had some sort of virtues. It does not. Things went bad, and he was indicted and went to prison for embezzlement from phony will writing. The company was later fined 100 million dollars.

ADM doesn't believe much in offices. THey have one big room where everybody has a desk. It is an incredible sight. When the Whitacre thing fell apart and they were firing people. They would set a little orange pylon on the desk of a person who was to be fired. This told everybody not to touch a thing on the desk.

Office gossip wasn't about this person getting fired. Instead they would say the person was "coned" today.

"Rats in the Grain" was a great book about him and ADM.

Maybe I'll rent the movie anyway this week.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)