AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The New Poor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mrs Seabee
Posted 2/22/2010 20:05 (#1088151 - in reply to #1088083)
Subject: RE: The New Poor

Northern Indiana
Those who are on unemployment loose all of their benefits even if they are motivated enough to work part-time. If they can't afford where they are, they won't be able to afford a long move, and there's certainly no guarantee that there will be anything for them when they get to where they go. We learned that during the Great Depression. It also doesn't work for families to split up either.

Those of us who are rural had better thank God for the fact we can take care of ourselves. We have the soil, and we have the space. We can trade with our neighbors if need be for what we may not have - fruit, eggs, honey, etc. There are people who genuinely need help and we can do it. We can designate a portion of our gardens and make sure that produce gets to those who need it or to the nearest food pantry. We can also donate the money for an acre's worth of production. Most food banks have freezer space for meats, fruits, and other items. Next time you see a great sale on pork loin or chicken, buy some and take it to somebody else, or somewhere else.

I'll never forget an experience I had last year at the grocery store. I and another woman was standing at the meat counters and just looking. I muttered something about I honestly don't know how families are making it with the situation in the country. She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "I'm 45 yrs old, and for the first time in my adult life, I've had to accept help, and it's killing me." I lost it, and prayed for her. I didn't have the spare cash at the time, but there have been times I did and I've never been sorry when I handed it over to someone else.

We've made it through tough times before because we got over being mad at other people and decided to help take care of those in the community, whether is was with work, or with resources, or with money, or whatever. We can do it again, but it's not going to happen if we're constantly judging and accusing and making things worse. This is what it is, and we've got to deal with it, and those who caused it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)