AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Platform guards
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/27/2024 06:31 (#10828005 - in reply to #10827303)
Subject: RE: Platform guards

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
My opinion has changed through the years. For many years, I would never change guards unless they broke. Now with fungicides, different varieties and a different head, I've changed my mind.

I purchased a Deere 635FD used a few years ago. A friend was the previous owner. He was always changing sickles which I thought to be foolish. It worked fine the first year but left a ragged cut the next year. I purchased a complete kit from Shoup and replaced all cutting components. It worked fine that year.

I forget the time span but last year, it seemed back to cutting ragged again. I really think that the cutting components should last longer but I may purchase a complete kit again. Keeping the hold downs tight seems to be more important than ever.

Doing some rough math with $10 beans and a $3000 kit, I would need to pick up an additional 300 bushels of beans in one year. 300 bushels on just 600 acres amounts to 1/2 bushel/acre. I hate the look of "stragglers" after I finish a field but it is hard to determine how much I've lost.

We don't have much for rocks but going with the double treated guards might be worth it. Other thoughts?

Edited by tedbear 7/27/2024 06:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)