AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grass hay question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Josh in Pa
Posted 7/25/2024 19:22 (#10826157)
Subject: Grass hay question?

s.e. Pa
I was mowing some second cutting grass tonight, originally orchard grass but now an older stand with fescue coming up. First cutting was mowed 7 weeks ago. It’s been dry here and even with 7 weeks of re growth, it was short enough that a lawn mower would have cut it. One thing I noticed that I thought was odd, along the edges under the trees the grass was about twice as big, and was a healthy dark blue/green color. In the field the tips were brown and whole field had kind of a yellowish light green look to it. Why does it look better under the trees? I thought that would be even drier. Is it cooler and the cool season grasses are more dormant in the middle of the field?

Also how late do you typically cut the last cutting of grass hay? I usually try to be done mid September, but sometimes late August and early September are very hard to get hay dry because of the humidity. I almost think in some years late September or early October is easier, it’s cooler and shorter days but less humidity. Anyone else think that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)