AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Winter water setup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

vbfarms88
Posted 7/24/2024 20:49 (#10824881)
Subject: Winter water setup

I want to try something different to water some cows out where they can graze corn stalks. I have a fairly large reservoir/dugout and 110 power close by. Feel free to critique my plan or provide a better solution. There is no groundwater here so any solutions have to use the reservoir and be capable of watering 500+ cows.

My plan is to place a large tire waterer with an insulated lid uphill from the reservoir. Heat sink under the tire, 1.25” water line, power and drain tile trenched down to the dugout. In the dugout, a galvanized crib set as far out as we can get, pitless adapter and stainless submersible pump. No pressure system needed, I’m happy to let the tire overflow and run back down the drain pipe to help keep things from freezing. We’ll also put a steel access platform to get out to the crib.

It will get cold here and stay that way. -20 is normal and -30 happens. The reservoir will get 2-3’ of ice on top if not more. Concerns with this setup would be the tire valve sticking/freezing, freezing at the pitless if the reservoir drops too low & the drain line freezing off. Also the ice potentially moving/crushing the crib.

Maybe there’s a simpler way I’m missing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)