AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

# of Cows Per Bull
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/24/2024 11:57 (#10824246 - in reply to #10823773)
Subject: RE: # of Cows Per Bull

Driftless SW Wisconsin

AJSims - 7/24/2024 07:17 Small Herd of 25 Cows, have been renting bulls but looking to buy my own now. With a small herd would you trust just 1 bull to get the job done? Obviously don’t want to have more than I need but also don’t want to end up with problems if something was to happen with my 1 bull.

When buying a bull buy a registered one from a breeder who raises bulls like you will raise him Make sure he passes a breeding soundness exam before you buy him. Most breeders selling registered bulls will provide a breeding soundness exam.

If you have a bull who's passed a breeding soundness exam, even a young bull should handle 25 cows over a reasonable amount of time, say one or two cycles (42 days) max.

The idea of two bulls for 25 cows sounds like trouble as described above, depending on how large a pasture they'll be in. Also expense. Buy one good bull.

There is always the chance they will come up lame or something else goes wrong. I have come to putting my bull in with cows on the flatest pasture I have. Had a good bull go lame trying to breed a cow on a rocky wooded hillside. If you see riding after you put the bull in then check for a problem. Most breeders guarantee their bulls.

Edited by Jim 7/24/2024 11:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)