AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taking the little Mrs. to Alaska, suggestions for must see
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Boone & Crockett
Posted 7/8/2024 06:31 (#10802470 - in reply to #10801409)
Subject: RE: Taking the little Mrs. to Alaska, suggestions for must see

GregWCIL - 7/7/2024 10:43

Perhaps you already have you Jeep and lodging reservations, but it’s likely cheaper to rent an RV. Several large RV rental places in Anchorage.
What we found was we often finished an area faster than planned so just fired up the RV and took off.
Many campgrounds plus in Alaska unless it’s specifically marked no camping you can boondock about anywhere. Lots of flexibility.
As John said, one highlight was taking a Dehaviland Otter from Talkeetna and landing on skies on a Denali glacier. Great photo ops from the air.
We also took a Cessna flight from Homer across the Cook Inlet. Landed on the beach and mingled with coastal brown bears (grizzlies but bigger due to plentiful fish).
Must do is bus ride into Denali. Only way to get past the 15 mile marker. I think it can get to the visitors center but road is out before the end.
We also flew to Sitka for a small ship cruise but that likely doesn’t fit your itinerary.
Been to Alaska three times including in the winter. I’d go again in a heartbeat.

Edit to add: there are hiking trails off of the first 15 miles in Denali. Plus the park busses will drop you off for hiking the tundra (as long as there are no bear sightings nearby) you can hop on another bus any time as there are ones about every fifteen minutes. Plan a whole day for the bus ride and hiking.
I like the RV suggestion, would be handy in some respects. Unless I’m missing something though, the rates for even a small camper van run over $400 night, plus whatever fee the campground will be. Kinda makes the $300 hotels not look so bad? This based on the link you provided, using the dates we need it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)