AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taking the little Mrs. to Alaska, suggestions for must see
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Green Acres Guy
Posted 7/7/2024 07:10 (#10801100 - in reply to #10801071)
Subject: RE: Taking the little Mrs. to Alaska, suggestions for must see

Latimer, Iowa (north central)
Hey Boone, I went hiking in the area north of Fairbanks on a 4-H trip 25 or so years ago. Was beautiful country, but it was cold and rainy. We were supposed to be on a 4 day hike with about 10 of us high schoolers (some very green) a couple college kids, and 2 Alaskan hiking guides. We started out headed to Cheena hot springs, after 1/2 a day it started raining and was about 40 degrees. Our group did not have enough of the proper rain gear. Luckily for me, or planned, Cabeleas in Owatonna MN, had just opened and I had a brand new goretex rain pants and lined jacket. After another day is was still raining. It was decided the group would turn back to the trailhead and need to be picked up there. No phones of course. The head guy picked me to go with him cross country, across a pretty good river (12 mile shortcut) to make it to a DOT station along the road to find a phone. Said I had the best gear, and I was pretty solid back then with hiking experience. We left the group, trekked 5 miles or so across pretty rough terrain and got to the DOT station along the road. Of course, was like 7 pm, nobody there. Ended up hoping the fence and the well shed was unlocked and heated. Slept in there, guys came in the morning and we called for help, and picked up group. Long story about nothing but I had a great time. Found this license plate along the road when got to the station.

Lesson from all that is have some good gear for if it’s 40 degrees and raining. Even in summer. Wouldn’t be fun to want to see things and be getting cold and wet.

There was more agricultural then I thought there would be in the valley around Fairbanks. Too expensive to ship food in so there was a dairy and livestock.

The Alaska state fair is in the end of August and pretty fun to see all the native Alaskan things there. It’s in Palmer from memory.

If you have ever read “Into the Wild” I think you can see the bus the guy lived in.

Alaska is likely less remote than when I was there, I was pre cell phone days, but I wouldn’t plan on having service everywhere. A couple good reliable paper maps are hard to beat.

Edited by Green Acres Guy 7/7/2024 07:27

(image (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image (full).jpg (127KB - 67 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)