AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Peanut oil for cooking, good or bad.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 7/6/2024 10:52 (#10800333 - in reply to #10800051)
Subject: Dr Boz

Pittsburg, Kansas

I don't watch much vegan stuff, but when I do it seems like there is one common thread with the carnivore, keto, Mediterranean or some of the other themes. When the vegan claims the diet change solved all their health problems or going carnivore solved all their health problems one common thread is that the diet change caused them to go away from a lot of boxed, bagged, bar coded highly processed food. It seems there is some commonality in that going back towards more whole natural foods rather than manufactured foods may be a big part of the gut and health improvement. More single ingredient foods.

I have to wonder if some of the FDA's "generally considered safe" food additives are not all that good for us. Take for example Velveta. I have eaten a lot of it in my lifetime. It is very popular here on AgTalk when it comes to dips and such. Most people consider it cheese and it certainly does contain cheese. But it also contains a list of other "generally considered safe" ingredients including emulsifiers that make the cheese and whey and whatever else they put in there all mix together and melt easily. It is tasty stuff. I have not had any in over five years. I have to question if those emulsifiers are all that good for our gut and our gut is what is within us exposed to the outside world. That is just one example I happened to think of. Look at ingredient lists on some of the foods and there is all kind of stuff in there I have no idea what it is unless I look it up and then may not understand it.

So I have to question if that is not at least a part of health improvements available is by going to a more whole foods way of eating.

The other thing that influences big time who I listen to is if what they are saying reconciles with what I have experienced personally. Of course a good charlatan is one who can tell 95% truth but intertwine the con within the truth to take you in without even knowing or realizing you have been taken in. That is sometimes where the "gut feeling" comes in. Not very scientific at all, but sometimes impressions of people matter. 

Early on in our dietary transition I used to watch Dr Boz quite a bit. She had some good information, in my opinion. Then as time went by it seemed more and more like it was taking her an hour to say 15 minutes content and even worse it seemed she was more into her different programs and things to just keep you busy with her stuff and selling her product. And I found other presenters who did not have that baggage but much the same basic message. She is just one example of many like that. And I am not saying she is bad or gives bad advice. Some people need the hand holding and group encouragement and belong to a community of sorts. I am more of a "Larry the cable guy" kind of "git er done" type that just wants the facts without the social aspect. (and yet here I am on AgTalk - talk about ironic).

At any rate I think there are multiple avenues where many people could improve their health through choosing what they put into their mouth. Different people have different needs. I can only relate what I have personally had experience with, has worked for me, and put links to things I think either have potential for considering doing or are at least interesting. Then people can make their own decision if they think it will work for them or if they want to try it.

I have yet to find a perfect person who gets it all right. They all, including me, have their shortcomings.

Edited by John Burns 7/6/2024 10:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)