AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven 460 manual rate control
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/5/2024 07:22 (#10799054 - in reply to #10798794)
Subject: RE: Raven 460 manual rate control

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You say:

I’ve got the initial calibration numbers for boom sections, valve and flow meter. All stored values match what is recorded on the card I have for the machine. I don’t understand the boom section calibration. If they’re numbered left to right or right to left, the numbers do not reflect the relative lengths of the boom sections. Boom sections 1 and 5 (10’) are shorter than sections 2 and 4 (15’), but the recorded calibration numbers do not reflect that. Center section (another 10’) is the lowest stored value. Can’t remember what values are, but I think they match the card I have with all the initial values.

I inspected Raven flow meter today, it’s free and spins if I blow through it a little. Keeps spinning after I stop blowing, so I think it’s probably good. It and the 3 pin cable running to the 460 console are newer than anything else on system. I think they were probably installed when the 250 GPS receiver that’s in it now was installed not long before I got it. Second previous owner liked using a foamer and had discarded whatever old light bar was in it when he got it.

My reply:

In regard to the widths for the boom sections. The boom section widths MUST be accurate. This is part of the information the system needs to compute the area that you are covering which is ultimately used to determine the applied rate. This is vital since if the applied rate is not accurate automatic control of the control valve will not work properly.

If you push the third button from the left, the display will show a current boom number (from left to right standing behind the sprayer) and its current width in inches. If you push the first button (UP Arrow) the display should show the next boom section number and its current width in inches. If you continue you should be able to observe the current boom widths for all sections. If a section is not used, its width should be set to zero. The second button (DOWN arrow) allows you to cycle through the boom sections and their widths in the opposite directions.

To determine the correct width in inches for each section, measure the distance between the tips and multiply by the number of tips per section. If a section has 10 tips at 20" spacing, the correct width would be 200 inches. After you have entered all the correct boom widths, the system can then add up the widths of the sections that are ON due to the section switches that are ON and use that value as the width in it computations for area. Without the correct section widths in inches, the system cannot compute the area being sprayed correctly.

These values MUST agree with the actual widths in inches for each section. The card you are referring to seems to be incorrect from what you have told us.

The control valve in your picture is an extremely old Raven motorized control valve. Being old does not mean it is bad but the chances of it not working properly are greatly increased. If you put the Rate 1/Rate 2/MAN switch in Manual and have the Master and at least one Section switch ON, you should be able to manually move the control valve in your picture by holding the INC/DEC switch one way or the other. You should be able to hear the motor turning and then eventually stop. Pushing the switch the other way should cause the motor to start again and run for a while and stop. It should take 8 seconds to go from one extreme to the other.

You mention a bunch of debris in your spray lines. This must be cleaned out and will only add to your problems and confusion. This can cause all kinds of issues besides your confusion about how the system can work.

This may sound unkind but given your confusion at this point, it might be best to continue with your speed/pressure plan and basically forget about using the Raven and auto rate control at this time.

Edited by tedbear 7/5/2024 07:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)