AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Severe power hop Deere 8300!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Nocofarm
Posted 6/28/2024 16:12 (#10791077)
Subject: Severe power hop Deere 8300!

Hello! Just bought a new to us 1998 8300 Deere, it’s a great tractor so far, except fighting a terrible wheel hop issue! It hops so bad with the MFWD engaged that it messed up the seat switch wiring somehow, which is a separate problem. I jumped the seat switch connector with a single jumper wire to make the connection but it still wouldn’t go into gear without the clutch or run the guidance. Here’s how the tractor is set up and what I’ve done so far. It has HUGE weights inside the rear wheels, I mean massive. Not sure how much they weigh but it looks about like the equivalent of a Buick worth of weight on each inside rear dual. It also has a stack of 6 wheel weights on those wheels outside of the rim. It came with a full rack of weights up front and included front duals as well. We put the front duals on to field cultivate with the big Kongskilde and it seemed to do fine. I hooked up the 22foot sunflower disk and it power hopped bad enough to cause concern. I aired up the fronts to 30, reduced rears to 18, and took weights off the front. It steered great on pavement after that but still hopped when pulling. I took off front duals, and it went from bad to worse! Here’s the kicker, it goes away when you switch off the MFWD, only a slight gentle bucking I guess you could call it. I think it’s wheel slipping just enough to get to more solid ground and then catching grip, even though wheel slip meter always says zero. It’s absolutely violent bucking with the MFWD engaged. I need to pull on the scale at the fertilizer place and check weight distribution I know, but haven’t got to it yet.

I have heard from another farmer that they bought a used tractor from the dealer, and the dealer caught a gearing mismatch and swapped them out for the correct set before delivering it…. We bought the tractor at auction, and finally tracked down the ex employee who drove it most of the time, he said when disking or plowing, he couldn’t use the front wheel assist due to the bucking. He kept it super clean, but never got to the bottom of the hopping. Hope I didn’t buy a lemon. All fluids that came out of it including hydraulic were pretty clean. Engine does have a slight surge too while pulling, like a 200rpm fluctuation.

I can only get the problem to go away with MFWD engaged if I don’t go any faster than 5th gear. It will pull the disk in 10th but cannot due to the hopping.

Do all of these solid front axle tractors just hop like crazy? I’m former law enforcement with a back injury that doesn’t cause me much trouble anymore with keeping in decent shape, hauling gated pipe doesn’t hurt it, but the bucking of this tractor does!!

We have a 4560 MFWD that you cannot make hop at all. I know it’s less powerful but it has never ever hopped at all.

Running 380/85r34 tires up front
380/90r50 in the back.

Has anyone had the jumper wire not work for the seat switch? And is the 8300 just such a rough riding wheel hopping bastard enough yo the point where I should get rid of the thing? We have an 8430 with ILS but that’s mostly used by the other side of the family with more ground to work, but this 8300 was supposed to be our flagship tractor exclusively for us, and I’m beyond frustrated! I’ve read the other posts about wheel hop being solved with front duals, but it’s only slightly less with those things on, and I feel like it’s hard on the tractor to run them. Any help would be appreciated!

I posted a video to YouTube,

https://youtube.com/shorts/s2F3MtGfV-E?feature=share

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)