AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Welding on a rim with mounted itre
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 6/8/2024 09:19 (#10767718 - in reply to #10767403)
Subject: RE: Welding on a rim with mounted itre

Faunsdale, AL
I’m not sure ether could do it. After all, tires are mounted with ether sprayed in much larger amounts than any possible residual amounts left in tire after it’s touched off to set the beads.

Neighbor of mine runs a trucking company and maintains all their own trucks and trailers. He said one of his drivers called him at the delivery site with a flat on a dual trailer tire, so he drove there and like he has done many other times, he sprayed starting fluid in the inner dual so he could get it seated back on the rim to put air in it. When he touched it off, it exploded. He was lucky and just wound up temporarily deafened from the explosion. As he says, there can be stuff in tires, especially tires that have gotten hot that are more potent than starting fluid. The process of pyrolysis shown in the video is a fast version that resulted in an explosion. It’s not always that fast and doesn’t always result in an explosion!

If you’re going to weld on one with the tire on, you absolutely should break the bead(s) if necessary to keep the tire from getting hot AND block them from being able to reseat if anything were to whoof inside the tire. Ventilating tire ahead of time and possibly during welding would be a very good idea too. You never know what might already be inside the tire before you start.

I first saw the wheels of fire video a few years after we welded a bunch of cracks on a backhoe rear rim. Didn’t know any better so we didn’t take any precautions. We just got lucky and had no explosion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)