AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LED shop light driver lifespan
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

aNullValue
Posted 5/7/2024 21:53 (#10732630 - in reply to #10732438)
Subject: RE: LED shop light driver lifespan

Fairfield County, Ohio, USA
Does your area have lots of electrical grid issues (high voltage or brownouts or etc)?

The curly-q bulbs were called compact fluorescent -- more or less the same thing as the old fashioned tubes. They lasted a whole lot longer than a few weeks or months for me. Probably 2 or 3 years on average? The occasional one failed sooner than that, but most of them were decent. I think I still have a few in service somewhere in the house, years later. I'm glad that compact fluorescent is disappearing -- they weren't good for the environment, and people just tossed them in landfills when they died.

I haven't bought anything but LED since... 2016 or 2017 I think. Of those LEDs, I've only had a few fail. One of them, obnoxiously, was the high "security light" near the top of the barn, and I haven't been able to find someone with a bucket truck to come out and replace that fixture. I think it lasted around 5 years. But I'd say that an approximate average age of my screw-in LED bulbs (designed to replace the traditional incandescent) is probably 7ish years, maybe 8. The overwhelming majority of LEDs that I've bought, I've not yet needed to replace. Then again, I tend to buy the somewhat more expensive Philips bulbs, and not necessarily whatever is on sale. My mom always buys whatever is cheapest, and I feel like she blows through bulbs at a crazy fast rate. To me, the convenience of not having to deal with a fast replacement, and of course the environmental benefit of not buying yet another one, more than outweighs the somewhat increased cost. And in the long run, they're still wildly less expensive than incandescent once you take electrical consumption into consideration.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)