AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EV vs Hybrid
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Maxzillian
Posted 5/6/2024 11:24 (#10730742 - in reply to #10730475)
Subject: RE: EV vs Hybrid

Brian Smith - 5/6/2024 06:37
I really don't understand why the car companies are not putting this system into most vehicles. I would think even the 1/2 ton pickups with a little bigger gas engine would be extremely efficient. Say going from 15-18 mpg to 25-30 mpg. Think about the total fuel savings in the US if 80% of all new consumer vehicles doubled their mpg.

Simply put: Because the CAFE calculations strongly favored EVs over hybrids. Manufacturers were able to achieve higher CAFE numbers with a relatively low number of EVs built. These adjustment factors are actually based well before EVs were really on the table and were focused more on favoring vehicles that utilized less foreign oil. E85 compatible vehicles and EVs actually carry equal factors.

As of recently those adjustment factors are being changed as it has been apparent that they've resulted in manufacturers building a handful of high-end EVs to pump their CAFE numbers while not actually having an appreciable improvement in fleet economy as desired. With that change I expect to see a lot more hybrids being built.

Edited by Maxzillian 5/6/2024 11:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)