AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feb 2010 Supply ans Demand report
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 2/10/2010 22:03 (#1068977 - in reply to #1068215)
Subject: You might be surprised at what someone can do..

"How do those acres get replaced...?"

We're small time.. basically one notch above part timers. However the serious farmers around us... well it was "pretty impressive" what got done. One guy I believe told me.. after trying a few acres the year before.. doubled back about 3,000 acres from wheat to beans.. His neighbor across the road did about 5,000 or so.. You can cover a lot of acreage with a four wheeler and an air seeder.. especially if you have more than one running.

I don't know about them but we "probably" won't do any next year. A couple of years ago the two above didn't raise any beans on their farms.

So where do these "ghost" acres come from..??? I kind of think this is how some of them show up and then disappear.. I'm not sure how big the double crop is.. but would guess a couple mln acres... across the whole country... 5 or 6 mln.. might be on the high end... or not...???

I have relation that farms north of Wichita that is in the wheat, fallow, townhouse rotation.. the townhouses are kind of slowing down but they are still doing it.. so like you.. he is seeing acreage "disappear." At the other end of the state.. there are acres upon acres from one end of the horizon to the other in CRP grass.. and some should certainly stay that way... but as I understand it some are coming out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)