AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost my pal yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 3/26/2024 19:51 (#10681722 - in reply to #10681655)
Subject: RE: Lost my pal yesterday

East of Broken Bow
Sorry to hear that.

My 'best' dog was a redbone coon hound cross.
Loyal, never aggressive to anyone, let little kids play would never run one over or even bump into them. For the most part rode 'quiet' with me, loved attention from anyone and everyone, yet was pretty well behaved when left alone.
Had a puppy stage where she chewed on things and dragged stuff to the front step, but outgrew it after about a year.
However, the very best thing I liked about her was her guard dog qualities. She had a 'friend' bark, so I knew if the neighbor or family member was coming over, a 'stranger' bark, so I knew it was someone she rarely saw, and a 'warning' bark, when she sensed someone was up to no good, like the meth head that 'ran out of gas' and was 'looking for a gas can' in my shop. Wasn't aggressive towards them, but I sure knew someone was up to something.
To go farther, she had a 'coyote near the cows' bark, I could even tell which direction and about how far away it was, and she also had a 'coon' bark, and a 'what is it?' bark for other animals.
Had a heck of a nose. If a cow or calf was out, she would follow its trail back to the hole in the fence where it got out.
Seriously, in my whole life I never saw a dog that had so many distinct barks, and used them to communicate what was going on (I took it to mean she was very smart). Naturally, at about age 4 she got sick and passed away. I was really hoping for a long life out of her.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)