AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is a highschool education really useful?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jeff in ND
Posted 2/28/2024 15:37 (#10643911 - in reply to #10643661)
Subject: RE: Is a highschool education really useful?

RR Valley, ND; MN native
My father never went to HS. Missed parts of 7th and 8th grade to work on the farm (1940s) too.

He always felt that not having gone to HS held him back in some ways.

When I was in HS 40yrs ago, I would take as many shop type classes as I could as well as those more college prep targeted. Never regretted that. In the end, those hands on things have been valuable all my life even if just for being able to fix or do whatever DYI stuff. I learned things there that my Dad didn't know. I went to a 2yr electronics program and eventually that 4yr degree. As it turned out, my HS classes even if I took the best available for things like math and science were really not good enough to have gone in to a 4yr degree right from HS. Those 3yrs of tech and community college were key to me not failing out when I got to "real" college.

Unless one is expecting to inherit the family business, getting a job w/o any HS or GED is going to be difficult and your choice of work very limited. For sure, employers want more credentials than are really necessary but they can use that to thin out the applicant pool just the same, fair or not (and its seldom fair it seems). I have a few relatives that went to work out of HS and except for the ones that inherited the family business, the others have always been struggling and one or two paychecks away from disaster.

Just my take.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)